Thursday, February 26, 2015
Tonight was the February meeting of the Elgin Piecemakers Quilt Guild. I worked hard all week to finish my wool applique project so that I could bring it to the meeting for show and tell. Ta Da! Here it is. I tried to position the light so the texture of my hand quilting would show up in this picture.
Quilting with black thread on black material is hard, but not impossible as long as I have good lighting and my reading glasses on...
Of course, everyone brought in a block for this month's chemo quilt...the colours were brown, tan/cream and green this month. Sorry about the funny angle on the picture!
For January, we made red and white heart blocks and that quilt top is now done and ready for quilting:
I <3 how="" looks="" one="" p="" this="">
I am hoping to finish putting together my Improvisational Piecing project from last summer's Jacquie Gering project next. I just have 3 more seams and then it will be ready for quilting. It is so nice to be finishing off these workshop UFO's!
Saturday, February 21, 2015
I made this block 12.5" square and was reminded by another member of the guild at the end of the day that it was supposed to be a 15.5" square so I will have to add some more strips to this block to bring it up to the right size.
I also made a block from my collection of 30's prints. This is my own design. No pattern used!
After the three blocks were done, I pieced a couple of flannel backs for our charity quilts. We had some flannel leftover from previous quilts that I brought home from the last meeting, hoping to be able to piece two or three backs from them. There is still more fabric left and I will check my flannel stash to see if there is anything I can add to make a third pieced back. Sorry, there are no pictures of the flannel backings.
After lunch, I dug out my improvisational piecing project from a Jacquie Gering workshop last summer at Quilts at the Creek. I laid my blocks out on the floor in a taped grid, as suggested by Jacquie.
I ended up making one more block before putting everything together. I still had a couple of seams to finish off by the end of the day but you will get the idea by looking at the picture below.
For Slow Sunday Stitching tomorrow, I hope to finish off the hand quilting on my wool applique wall hanging. I am using black thread on black material to add some texture to this little project. I started this one at a workshop over a year ago...
Just in case you are getting worried that I won't have anything to sew once these ufo's are done, I have at least three more workshop ufo's to finish as well as other projects floating around in my mind waiting to be made. Until next time... Happy Sewing!
Sunday, February 8, 2015
I made the binding and machine sewed it on last night (with my walking foot!).
I got about half way around the quilt with the hand sewing part and hope to finish it off today.
As you can see, the backing is bright orange. I inserted some leftover fabric into the backing to make it interesting. I will show the completed quilt in a future post.
Christine bought me this fan/Frisbee! Don't you all agree???
I went for a walk outside yesterday and took this picture.
Happy Slow Sunday Stitching!
Saturday, January 31, 2015
This week, I added the last of the embroidery stitches to my wool applique project from a workshop a year ago. Those are French knots in the bottom circle and the top green part.
I dug through my batik stash and found some fabric with green leaves on an orange background that was just calling out to be a border around this project!
The colour in the first picture is truer to how it really looks.
I found some backing and a scrap of batting and basted them together. I have only just started the hand quilting in the orange border. I have a plan for how to quilt the middle part and the outer border and hope to have some time tomorrow to add a few stitches. This is my 4th hand quilting project in the last year and I am quite enjoying the texture that it adds to my projects. I am using a light green thread for the quilting in the orange border and will likely use black thread for the rest of the quilting. (It is hard to see my quilting in this picture..sorry!)
Happy Slow Stitching Sunday!
Thursday, January 29, 2015
Here is the finished topper. I just completed the binding so it is completely done!
Until next time...
Monday, January 26, 2015
The Elgin Piecemakers met this past Thursday. What a fun and supportive group! This month, we each made a red and white heart block for this month's chemo quilt. There always is lots of variety in our blocks. The one block that does not have a heart on it is made from material that has hearts on it. I can't wait to see this one done!
Meanwhile, Beth and I will be getting together soon to work on the house block quilt. I received the last two house blocks at Thursday's meeting so we are ready to get this quilt top together!
Saturday, January 24, 2015
About a year ago, I attended a wool applique workshop with Jill Buckley, aka The Quilt Rat. Somehow, this project got put away into a plastic bin and disappeared into the dark hole that is my sewing room...never to appear again until this week. I wanted to do another hand stitching project and remembered that this project was still not done.
I am just using my stash of embroidery floss for this project.
I still have a bit more to do on the middle part of the flower. I hope to finish this up tomorrow during Slow Sunday Stitching time.
I decided that I am going to do my own thing to finish this project off rather than follow the pattern that Jill gave us. I have dug out some batik fabric for a border. I will likely had quilt this one since all of the stiches have been done by hand so far. It will not be very big so it should not take too long to do the quilting.