Saturday, April 18, 2015

Curly Hand Quilting

Earlier this week, I made this sheep block, found some backing and batting and basted it in preparation for hand quilting it.

I outlined the face and then started quilting some swirls or curls in the body. I am not drawing any lines on --I am just doing them freehand.

Some are looser and some are tighter...  just like a real sheep.

I am about half done the curls and already have an idea for the background of this little wall hanging.  It will be a birthday gift for my MIL.  Her birthday is in May so I should have lots of time to get it done on time.

I did some garden clean up earlier today for about an hour.  My daffodils are in bloom!

 
A couple of close ups...
 
 
 
My tiny daffodils are out too.
 
 
 
Here is an overdue stash report:
 
Fabric used since my last stash report: 5.5 yards
Total fabric used this year: 18.3 yards
Fabric added to the stash since my last report: NONE!
Total fabric added this year: 16.25 yards
Net fabric used this year:  2.05 yards

 


10 comments:

  1. What a sweet block, and beautiful stitches! I like your stash report, I am not sure if I would be able of such an accuracy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently quilted freehand, too, and loved it! I love the sheep block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is way ahead... such pretty daffodils!
    Love the free hand quilted curls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daffodils are a lovely sign of spring! I'm sure your MIL will love her present it is so cute! Perfect curls on the sheep, very brave to free hand them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you quilted that sheep. What a great idea. I am enjoying my daffodils also. I think they are one of my favorite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your curly quilting looks so wonderful; love your daffodils, too. so bright and cheery after this harsh long Winter....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is perfect ... so tiny and uniform. I can either get my stitches uniform or small ... even after these years I'm working to get them both. You have it down pat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little swirls, especially on a sheep. I am wanting to do some heavy quilting on my Baltimore Garden and will do a practice piece later this summer. This will be something I may have to try too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute little sheep! Gorgeous display of daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute block that you made of the sheep. Is your MIL a knitter? Your spring flowers are pretty too. Mine haven't made their appearance yet.

    ReplyDelete