Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Hand Stitching in the Car

Last week, my husband and I went on a car trip through Great Smokey Mountains National Park, along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and then through Shenandoah National Park.  I took along some hand stitching to do on the trip there and back.  I bought a kit to make a Sashiko block at our last London Friendship Quilters' Guild meeting and decided this would be a good project to bring in the car--not a lot of supplies and easy to tuck into my bag. I started by outlining the block, as suggested by the pictures in the instructions (which were in Japanese, but at least I could follow the diagrams!).

I managed to get the outlining done in the car on the way down.  At Shenandoah National park, we stayed at the Skyland Resort and had a room with a fireplace.  The room description promised a lovely view of the Shenandoah Valley. Instead, we had a wonderful view of the vast whiteness of thick fog almost the entire time that we were there! 


Instead of looking out the windows, my husband and I enjoyed a fire in the fireplace--he read a book and I did some stitching.

On the way home, I did some more stitching and the pattern started to show itself.  It was a bit hard to stitch on some roads--some of the stitches are a bit uneven as a result!  This picture was taken in the sun so the colour looks a bit washed out.



This will likely be made into a small wall hanging when it is done.  I bought some fabric to use as a border after I finish the hand stitching.  I hope to steal a few moments this week to make some more progress on this project.

1 comment:

  1. I have one of these little kits, but haven't pulled it out to work on it yet. Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete